Reposted by San Lorenzo Express



November 16, 2017

1.0 CALL TO ORDER: Vice President Kathie Ready called meeting to order on Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 7:30 PM.

1.1 SALUTE TO THE FLAG: Vice President Kathie Ready lead the members to the pledge of allegiance.

1.2 ROLL CALL: Directors that were present: Vice President Kathie Ready, Michelle Clowser, Emanuel MS. Robinson. Director that was excused: President Diane Wydler. Staff that were present: Administrator Eugene Osipov and Operations Manager Mai Vue.

1.3 SIGN – IN SHEET: Vice President Kathie Ready announced for members to sign-in.

2.0 PUBLIC COMMENTS - Items not on the Agenda

A member made an announcement regarding thanksgiving hours and events at the Library. Brochures are in located in the back table for more information. The member also mentioned supply donations for holiday themed/colored paper, card stock, and old holiday cards for the art program on December 16; and Maps, road maps, and atlases for programs in March 2018. Member also mentioned that San Lorenzo Heritage Society are having a holiday open house, but is a boutique in the Bohannon room and selling items. The member showed a few sample items that people may be interested in participating and raising funds for their historical plaque. The Heritage Society meet every other month and meets in the Library. A member commented to be considerate of the presenters tonight.


3.1 CHP – not present.

3.2 Sheriff’s Department – Reported there’s been a lot of robberies and people getting robbed because people are not paying attention. Home burglary will be on the rise due to the holidays and advised that everyone to be vigilant. Do not leave anything valuable in your cars or in plain sight. Sherriff also announced that the possible suspect for the car jack incident where the man got ran over (sadly the person did die) is caught and currently in custody.

3.3 Supervisor Wilma Chan – Announced they were excited to have participated in the San Lorenzo Halloween event again this year. Supervisor Wilma Chan’s Christmas party will be held on December 14 from 5pm to 7pm and they will be holding a toy drive as well for ages 2-5.

3.4 Zoning Enforcement – Not present, but a County rep announced that the code enforcement information was set on the back table.

4.0 OTHER BUSINESS (motions may be required)

4.1 San Lorenzo Library -Parking Lot -Low Emitting Vehicle Signage - William Lim, Architect LEED (Timed Agenda Item 8:00 p.m.) –- Presented they are trying to get one more point for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) meaning “green building” and achieve silver level. To achieve silver level, LEED requires the Library to add 3% parking for low emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles, which equals to reserving three parking spaces to have LEED signs put up and in consideration of the Association, the word “only” will be omitted. The Board voted to approve the Library’s proposal to install three (3) LEED signs over by the fence. Director Michelle Clowers moved to approve, Director Emanuel MS. Robinson seconds, all were in favor.

4.2 Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) Regulations in Unincorporated Alameda County (Update) Christina Horrisberger, CDA (Timed Agenda Item 8:16 p.m.) –- County presented information regarding State law requirements for local agencies to ease regulations and permitting requirements for Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) in residential districts. The legislation at the state level were created specifically to address housing prices. However, there are several issues associated with having ADUs, which County presumes SLVHA is aware of. ADUs will create a lot of congestion and add to parking issues on the street. Although, there are several issues to ADUs there are also many benefits of ADUs, which is the reason County have seen the recent changes to the state law such as adding to the rental housing stock which puts more units on the market, decreases rent, and extra income for homeowners. The County understands that ADUs may not be acceptable for properties within the HOAs; however, the County cannot consider HOA rules, and must issue permits according to State Laws. Board members commented that the HOA have checked with its legal counsel and was advised that second units are not allowed even if State is pushing the matter. The HOA’s declaration prohibits ADUs and supersedes county regulations for ADUs and should advise homeowners accordingly. Per County, they will advise homeowners who live in the HOA to check with their HOAs prior to submitting their application, because they do not want homeowners to waste time and money if it is not allowed in the HOA. Board thanked County for their presentation and reiterated that SLVHA does not allow second units within the SLVHA community.

4.3 Development of Mervyn’s Lot (Update) - Roy E. Demmon III, Demmon Partners (Timed Agenda Item 8:30 p.m.) -– Presented that they, Demmon Partners, are the developers for the new development on Mervyn’s Lot. They are a company that own and manage their own properties. They are based out of Redwood City and manage about 1900 units. They provide 24 hour security for their apartment rentals, they have strict policies, and they have their own vendors and workers that will take care of any issues on their properties. Their plan is to build a new apartment community on the empty Mervyn’s lot on Hesperian that will give a great first impression and bring curb appeal to SLVH. The new development will have 163 apt units with 8900 sq. ft. of retail on Hesperian & Paseo Del Grande, there will be a leasing office, a community center, recreation & exercise room, a pool, and a community dog park. There will be a total of 326 parking retail parking included. Retail parking spaces will be guest parking at night. There will be a first level garage and 2 level apartments above it. In the garage there will be 50 parking spaces, 32 parking spaces in the garage podium, 148 onsite, and 96 street parking spaces.

The architecture design on the corner of Hesperian & Paseo Grande will have a San Lorenzo theatre motif feel, they will incorporate San Lorenzo Village sign on their building, and will have San Lorenzo Village signage along Hesperian. On the split of the apartment area there will be a seating gathering area and hopefully they can get some eating establishments in the building so residents can eat and chat with neighbors. There will also be a bike shop where residents can have their bikes repair and clean to encourage residents to use their bikes as another source of transportation. They will also initiate a shuttle to BART that will be complimentary to the resident to encourage their residents to use public transportation. There will be a lot of Community events for residents, construct a community dog park, and contribute $300,000 to the San Lorenzo Theater for improvements: paint, lighting, repairs, and repairs to the marketing sign.

After the Demmon Partner’s presentation, some members expressed concerns and support of the project. Some members concerns were that if the building were condos for sale they would stand behind the project, as owners are more likely to be invested versus renters, and owners would be more involved in the community. Some members expressed they want to see more retail and commercial space in San Lorenzo, as there are not many options here, but no type of commercial/retail were specified. Members who support the project stated although more retail or commercial would be nice, people need more housing versus commercial or retail. In addition, the project looks very appealing and high end that may potentially bring more retail/commercial to the community. Some members stated that retails are moving to online and are slowly going away, and another member commented that San Lorenzo has retail and commercial, but no one supports the local business and ends up shopping elsewhere.

4.4 Lien Resolution (Authorization to Record Lien) –- Board voted to approve two lien resolutions for Account #28042 & 28281. Emanuel MS. Robinson moved to approve, Michelle Closwer second, all were in favor.

5.0 LIENS AND VIOLATION REPORT (motion may be required) -- No liens released. 148 first violation notices. Major issues were yard maintenance and plans required. 31 hearing notices. 299 notes: 119 plans needed, 103 yard maintenance, and 35 multiple violations.

6.0 FINANCIAL REPORT (motion required)

6.1 Approval of October, 2017 Expenditures –- Director Emanuel MS. Robinson moved to approved, Director Michelle Clowser seconds, all in favor.

6.2 Approval of Bank Reconciliations 3rd Quarter 2017 --Director Emanuel MS. Robinson moved to approved, Director Michelle Clowser seconds, all in favor.


7.1 Community Events Committee -– Reported for everyone to mark their calendars for 12/12/2017 for the San Lorenzo Winterfest and that Santa will be present. Parents should bring their own cameras to take pictures with Santa. There will be a public puppet show “Nut Cracker”. There will be a food bank, people who donate $1.00 will receive a ticket for raffle (a $100 gift card from Lucky’s).


8.1 Operations – The Administrator reported:

Children’s Halloween event went very well on Saturday, October 28, 2018. There were many families and children who enjoyed it. The Association received $1,800.00 in donations and the spending was $1,432.02. The next event will be Association’s Annual Winterfest on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 from 6 pm to 8 pm. The Committee needs volunteers to help set up and clean up. If anyone is interested contact the Association office. The main hall roof replacement commencement of work is November 27th and scheduled to be completed on December 11, 2017.

Hall Exterior Surfaces repaint has started and will be completed before November 24, 2017. The paint vendor plans to return after windows are repaired for touch ups.

The Firehouse was having issues with HVAC. Mitch White, Alameda County Fire Department Facilities Coordinator contacted management to address issue with the new HVAC unit at Station 22. Bay Area Climate Control sent service technician on Tuesday, November 7th and found there was no issues with the HVAC, but replaced the thermostat just in case, as the new thermostat was easier to operate.

KMC Cleaners will provide commercial carpet cleaning for stage in the main hall and office areas. The carpet in the hall (stage area) will be completed on Monday, November 13th. KMC Cleaners will also rempla the broken transition strip with commercial brass strip and will do Tile & Grout floor restoration in the kitchen, women and men’s bathrooms. In exchange for KMC service the Association will place their advertisement in the future Village Briefs, dollar for dollar.

Marquee Sign Replacement, Sam’s Sign will provide proposals to Administrator by the end of November 2017.

The San Lorenzo Community Park (1920 Via Buena Vista) reopened on November 14th. The park renovation started on August 31, 2015 with $12 million budget and the project was completed under budget at $11.5 million. Park is opened daily from 8:00 am to dark.

8.2 Board Election (2018) –- The Administrator reported that there were two seats that were up for election. On Monday, November 13, 2017, nomination papers were due by 5:00pm. Members who wanted to run for Board needed a minimum of 20 signatures from members in good standing and no tenant signatures for valid nomination. At the close of nomination, the Association received two (2) candidates for the Board of Director for 2018. Michelle Clowser and John Chung. After validating the signatures for nomination Michelle Clowser had 24 members in good standing and John Chung had 30 members in good standing. Acclamation: If at the close of nominations the number of candidates is equal to the number of positions to be filled, the Boar is not required to conduct balloting for the election of Directors. The Board can find the positions have been filled by acclamation.

A communication to the members announcing the results of the acclamation will be publicized by the Board within 15 days of the close of nominations.

9.0 BOARD REPORTS -- Board reported that SLVHA continues to review Architecture Applications electronically and this procedure is going very well. The Association continues to receive roughly 25 applications per month. Board also reported that if anyone is interested in taking part in community events to contact the Association office and they will notify Director Michelle Clowser.


10.1 Disposition of Executive Session Minutes # 1543 on October 19, 2017 –The Board discussed collection accounts with Alterra Collections. A settlement offer was denied. A payment plan proposal was denied. The Board authorized to initiate foreclosure. The Board discussed a Bankruptcy case. The Board tabled discussing security contracts. The board also discussed extending staff support from Manor for 2 more weeks until the Administrator returned.

10.2 Approval of Executive Session Minutes # 1543 on October 19, 2017 -- Director Emanuel MS. Robinson moved to approved, Director Michelle Clowser seconds, all in favor.

10.3 Disposition of Executive Hearing Session Minutes # 1544 on October 19, 2017 –- 11 hearings were scheduled. Two accounts required to submit plans within 30 days; three accounts were closed; two accounts were TUB; three accounts were fine; and one account required to submit plans within two weeks.

10.4 Approval of Executive Session Hearing Minutes # 1544 on October 19, 2017 -- Director Emanuel MS. Robinson moved to approved, Director Michelle Clowser seconds, all in favor.

10.5 Approval of Board Meeting Minutes # 1545 on October 19, 2017 -– Director Michelle Clowser moved to approved, Emanuel MS. Robinson second, all in favor.

10.6 Disposition of Executive Session Hearing Minutes # 1546 on November 9, 2017 –- Sixteen (16) hearings were scheduled: five accounts were closed; two accounts were fined and re-invite to hearing; four accounts required to submit plans within 2 weeks; two accounts required to submit plans in one week; one scheduled hearing request did not show up; two accounts were fine;

10.7 Approval of Executive Session Minutes # 1546 on November 9, 2017 -- Director Emanuel MS. Robinson moved to approved, Director Michelle Clowser seconds, all in favor.

11.0 ADJOURNMENT –- Meeting was adjourned at 9:44 pm.