Reposted by San Lorenzo Express


MINUTES

SAN LORENZO VILLAGE HOMES ASSOCIATION
MEETING NO. 1438

September 17, 2015


1.0 MEETING CALLED TO ORDER – The regular meeting of the San Lorenzo Village Homes Association Board of Directors was held on Thursday, September 17, 2015. President Auten called the meeting to order at 7:40 p.m.

1.1 SALUTE TO THE FLAG – President Auten led the audience in the pledge of allegiance.

1.2 ROLL CALL – Directors Wes Auten, Steve Kirk, Kyle Carlson, Michelle Clowser, and Cheryl Hoffmann were present.

*6.1 Hesperian Blvd Streetscape Improvements Project – Update Ruben Izon, Alameda County Public Works (Timed Agenda Item 7:40 p.m.) –- Mr. Izon introduced John Gibbs the project's Landscape Architect and Urban Designer. Gibbs showed a power point presentation that highlighted the specifics of the project.

There will be gateway elements at Hesperian and Post Office Drive and Hesperian and A streets that would include drought tolerant plantings. A conduit will be put in place underground for future fiber optic connections.

There will be more signal improvements and coordination with AC Transit bus lines. Pedestrian accessibility is a huge component of the design. All power poles will be removed along the corridor and underground wiring will be installed. This will allow for more trees and vegetation to be placed in the median. The project will go out to bid at the beginning of 2016, with construction starting in the Spring/Summer of 2016 and ending by December of 2019.

The first phase of the project will be the undergrounding of the electricity. The second phase will be the resurfacing of the roadways and repaving of the sidewalks, as well as replanting the median. The County is very sensitive to issues raised by businesses in the area, and has been contacting them to discuss their concerns.

Several issues brought up at the October 2014 community meeting that have been mitigated. The crosswalk on Embers Way is currently not well marked and was noted as unsafe for pedestrian use. The engineers have realigned the crosswalk so that motorists must stop sooner and will be forced to look both ways before moving through the intersection. The project's design had a bulb-out at Grant and Hesperian for pedestrians that would have prohibit vehicles from turning right onto Grant. There was community concern that this would create more traffic backing up along Hesperian and Embers Way. The engineers revised the design to allow for a smaller bulb-out, where motorists can still make a right turn onto Grant. There were also concerns that motorists would be able to continue to make U-turns on Hesperian. Gibbs said that all current U-Turn areas along Hesperian have been left unchanged.

The Board asked where the construction would begin and questioned if any of the street amenities had been changed from the initial design (bike racks, seating, bike lanes etc.). They were also concerned about moving the bus stop nearest to Lewis Rents, closer to the Lucky shopping center. They asked the County who would maintain the vegetation in the median and what type of outreach had been done to businesses. Gibbs said he is not aware of any changes to the street amenities, and the bike lanes will remain in the street. The scheduled construction is dependent upon how cost-effective it will be to begin the undergrounding in one area versus another, which they have little control over. The County will be taking care of the landscaping and is considering the site lines across medians and corners for these plantings. They did discuss moving the bus stop near Lewis Rents with AC Transit, however due to the bus service improvements it cannot be done. The County has contacted the Association and has been meeting with the Eden Area/Castro Valley chamber in order to minimize issues with the surrounding businesses once the construction begins.

The Board and members asked Gibbs and the County to look into improvements for the vegetation on Embers Way near the entry of the project that belongs to City of San Leandro. They also asked that sycamore trees be planted in the median area and encouraged ongoing outreach with the businesses in the community.

2.0 MINUTES FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

2.1 Approval of Board Meeting Minutes #1435 on August 20, 2015 – Director Carlson moves to approve, Director Kirk seconds, the motion carries unanimously.

2.2 Approval of Work Session Minutes #1436 on September 8, 2015 – The Administrator said that the minutes are not yet complete; however, they will be ready for review at the October board meeting.

3.0 COMMITTEE REPORTS

3.1 Community Events Committee – Director Hoffmann reminded homeowners that the SLVHA 70th Anniversary celebration is this Saturday, September 19, 2015. There will also be another free movie night for the community on September 25, 2015 at the Little League Field, starting at dusk. The annual Children's Halloween event will be on Saturday, October 31, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

3.2 Ad Hoc CC&R Implementation Committee – Chair, Diane Wydler, reported that the Fence Policy was reviewed by the Association's Attorney and has been revised once again by the committee. The Shed/Outbuilding Policy and the Carport Policy have also been revised by the committee and there will one final review at the committee's next meeting before going to the Board.

4.0 COMMENTS FROM PUBLIC AGENCIES

4.1 CHP – Officer Forrest reported that on Saturday, September 19, 2015, the CHP would be hosting a free car safety seat demonstration from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Castro Valley Library. There is also another "Start Smart" program for new drivers this coming week from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Castro Valley Library. His unit is trying to help with parking and traffic around school zones this year. Every morning they meet and are briefed as to which areas have been reported as problems and they are dispatched to these areas prior to school starting and at dismissal. He encouraged residents to contact the CHP with problem areas. Director Clowser asked the CHP to patrol the stop sign at Channel and Bockman, as trucks are not stopping at this intersection, and they are speeding down Bandoni Ave. to get to the construction site at the San Lorenzo Park.

4.2 Sheriff's Department – Deputy Stewart reported, that he did not have a print out of the monthly statistics, however, there were five (5) major incidents in the area. There was a robbery in front of Wells Fargo bank in San Lorenzo, the suspect stole $160 from an individual and has not been apprehended. There were two (2) stolen vehicles recovered and the suspects related to each, have been apprehended. There was an attempted burglary at O'Reilly's Auto Parts on Lewelling, where the suspect fled and has not been apprehended.

There was also a vehicle chase with dirt bikes down Hesperian Blvd., in which two (2) of the three (3) suspects have been caught. Stewart invited everyone to the Cop Shop Barbeque on Friday September 25, 2015. Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for children. He also invited residents to attend the upcoming Citizens Academy that will begin at the end of September. His department participated in Urban Shield this past weekend and placed sixth.

4.3 Supervisor Chan – Steve Jones reported that Supervisor Chan would be contributing an additional $500 to the Association's 70th Anniversary event, making her total contribution $1,500. He said that his office also helped get permit fees waived for the event. A member said that there is no railing as you enter the new San Lorenzo Library, and he recently tripped on the stairs. Jones said that he is looking into the issue of the railing as well as the "gap" in the parking lot that allows cars to drive from the Lucky Shopping area through to the Association parking lot.

4.4 Zoning Enforcement – Copies were left for members on the back table.

5.0 FINANCIAL REPORT (motion required)

5.1 Approval of August 2015 Expenditures – Director Carlson moves to approve, Director Kirk seconds, the motion carries unanimously.

5.2 Acceptance of Audit 2014-2015 – Director Carlson moves to approve, Director Hoffmann seconds, the motion carries unanimously.

6.0 OTHER BUSINESS (motions may be required)

*6.1 Hesperian Blvd Streetscape Improvements Project – Update, Ruben Izon, Alameda County Public Works - (Timed agenda item 7:40 pm) – See Timed Agenda Item above.

6.2 San Lorenzo Business Expo Check Presentation to DECA – Romy Shivers-Adeyemi (SLZ High DECA Advisor) and Christina Charlton (Arroyo High DECA Advisor) – (Timed Agenda item 8:00 p.m.) – The Board presented teacher, Christina Charlton, with two checks for $1088 for each of the DECA programs at Arroyo and San Lorenzo High Schools. Ms. Charlton thanked the Board, staff and all the volunteers and participants of the Business Expo.

7.0 ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT

7.1 Operations – The Administrator reported that she is still working on bids for the parking lot shared by the Association, the Library, and the Fire Station. The initial inspection revealed a large number of loose wires in the dirt, under the asphalt. An electrician will need to be on site once the work begins, in case a wire is severed. She will also be getting an additional quote as to the cost of putting these wires in a conduit. The office is still working to produce reports in the new database and will be getting web training in the upcoming month.

7.2 Board Elections –The Administrator said that the 2016 Board of Director elections schedule is on the back table and will be printed in the Sept/Oct Village Briefs. Both Director Hoffmann's and Director Auten's seats are up for election. Nominations papers will be available at the Association office from October 9-16th.

8.0 LIENS AND VIOLATIONS REPORT (motion may be required) – The Administrator said there were eight (8) liens released since the last Board meeting. No violation report was generated due to the fact that staff is being trained on how to create these reports in the new database (VMS). Enforcement was substantially higher than last month. Staff is generating violation letters in the new database and is once again out in the field.

9.0 CC&R HEARING REPORT

9.1 Disposition of Executive Session #1437 on September 17, 2015 - The Administrator stated that there were 24 matters heard before the Board. Nine (9) homeowners appeared, three (3) of these homeowners were rescheduled until next month's hearings due to time limitations. Ten were closed, four (4) were fined, one (1) was asked to submit plans or be fined, two (2) were thank-you-but edge lawn and pull weeds in garden, four (4) were carried over for 30 days to correct the violation(s) or be fined.

9.2 Approval of Minutes of Executive Session #1437 on September 17, 2015 – The Administrator was unable to print out the minutes for the meeting due to problems with her computer. She will have them ready for review at the next Board meeting.

10.0 PUBLIC COMMENT – Items Not on the Agenda – A member suggested that the Association create a "do's and don'ts sheet" for new homeowners that would be at the top of their sale package from the Title Company when a property is sold. She said most people do not read their CC&R’s, and a quick summary would be very helpful. Several members requested that the "Public Comment" item on the agenda be moved up earlier, so that more people would have the opportunity to speak. A member suggested that the Board have a "welcoming committee" where new homeowners are visited by committee members and could be informed about upcoming events and ask questions about the CC&R’s and the Association. A member asked that HARD be brought back before the Board so that the community can have an update on the work/renovations at the San Lorenzo Park.

11.0 BOARD REPORTS – Director Hoffmann stated that on October 6, 2015 the EALI Ag Committee is hosting a planning meeting at Rowell Ranch. This meeting is in preparation of inviting third graders in the Eden Area to attend the Ranch, meet with farmers, and have hands-on agricultural experience. There is also an event at Meek Estate on October 24, 2015, this is "Food Day", and everyone is being asked to bring a picnic to the park, meet neighbors, and enjoy various activities. Director Kirk announced that Mervyn Morris recently had a stroke and he has made a "Get Well" banner to send to him. He asked that homeowners sign the banner tonight and at Saturday's 70th Anniversary/Carnival Event.

12.0 ADJOURNMENT – President Auten adjourned the meeting at 9:53 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,


Kyle Carlson
Secretary/Treasurer


Recorded and Transcribed by: Kathleen Harrigan
Reviewed by: Susan Kleebauer, Administrator