Reposted by San Lorenzo Express


MINUTES

SAN LORENZO VILLAGE HOMES ASSOCIATION
MEETING NO. 1557

January 18, 2018


1.0 CALL TO ORDER – President Diane Wydler called meeting to order on January 18, 2018 at 7:35 p.m.

1.1 SALUTE TO THE FLAG – President Diane Wydler lead the members in the pledge of allegiance.

1.2 ROLL CALL – Board of Directors that were present: President Diane Wydler, Secretary/Treasurer Emanuel MS. Robinson, Director Michelle Clowser, and Director John Chung. Board of Director that was excused: Vice President Kathie Ready. Staff Members that were present: Administrator Eugene Osipov and Operations Manager Mai Vue.

1.3 SIGN–IN SHEET – President Diane Wydler reminded members to sign in at the back table.

2.0 PUBLIC COMMENTS - Items not on the Agenda

A member reminded everyone of a few events at the County Library that will take place January and February. Starting Sunday, January 21 from 3pm to 4pm there will be a Language Journey, a bilingual story time. Each week a story will be read in a different language (Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Thai, and more). A few words will be taught and will have craft activities for kids. On February 8th from 4pm to 6pm, “LEOs” in the Library will be in the Library for informal chats. On February 17 at 12pm the Library will celebrate Lunar New Year. There will be a parade, live puppet show, and crafts. Some fun facts and information about the San Lorenzo Library: it was established in 1910 and was the first branch of the Alameda County Library System. It was in the old Village Hall at the corner of Leveling Blvd and Usher Street, and it consisted of two bookcases containing 100 books. Then it changed locations until it finally came to where it currently sits.

A member stated they are unable to volunteer at the Lunar New Year this year and ask that members who are available to volunteer their time to please volunteer and or to go out and enjoy the festivities. The event is from 12pm to 4pm. The member stated that last year they had a massive amount of kids and parents that showed up and it was a lot fun.

3.0 COMMENTS FROM PUBLIC AGENCIES (7:40 p.m.)

3.1 CHP – was not present.

3.2 Sheriff’s Department – Reported the crime statistics for the San Lorenzo area. In regards to stolen Vehicles: Ten (10) were reported, One (1) was attempted, and three (3) were recovered. As for home invasion and burglaries there were four (4) home invasions reported, six (6) car burglaries reported, and six (6) home burglaries were reported. Theft: eight (8) were reported, and vandalism eight (8) were reported. Per Deputy, there has been a spike in robberies and advise everyone in the community pay attention to their surrounding and be vigilant, watch out for each other, your neighbors, children, and the elderly as the robbers tend to go after those that are slower and are not paying attention.

3.3 Supervisor Wilma Chan – Thanked everyone for joining their holiday party. They had close to 100 people who attended and stated that a lot of toys were donated. For the month of December they were able to collect over 200 toys and books and made a donation to 175 Kinder Preschool Kids. With the generous donations, the kids were able to receive a toy and a book. Of all the toys donated, CHP donated 50 toys and the Sheriff’s Office donated dozens and dozens of books.

Supervisor Chan committed $2000 for the upcoming Earth Day Event.

Update on Eden MAC -- There were surveys that were sent out a few months ago to support creating an Eden area MAC for the Cherryland, Ashland, San Lorenzo, and Hayward Acers. Supervisor Miley and Supervisor Chan are in support of the Eden MAC, but eventually it has to go to the Board of Supervisors’ to get a final approval. In the meantime, they have agreed to create an AD HOC Committee.

Supervisor Chan is appointing 4 individuals and Supervisor Miley is appointing 3. First meeting is tentatively scheduled on February 8th where the Committee will give recommendations as to how the Eden MAC should look like and in terms of the location should be and how many meetings.

Additionally, some may have noticed that there was an installation of the outdoor San Lorenzo Library sign. There is a community process for it and similar signs were presented at various community meetings. One thing that did change where initially they were going to have the “San Lorenzo” part of it face Hesperian and “Library” part face Paseo Grande. There was one request from Supervisor Chan which was to have both signs facing Paseo Grande, so the signs don’t look disjointed.

In regards to the green fence in front of the Library facing Hesperian, Mr. Bohannon did install the fence. The fence is over 6 feet tall and they did not obtain a permit for it. It is required that any fence over 6 feet in height requires approval from the County. The fence is about 8 feet in height, which is 2 feet higher than it should be. Per the conversations between the different departments and Mr. Bohannon, they claimed that they reinstalled the same fence that was previously there before. The County has tried to get documentation to see how the fence used to look like before and compare it to the current fence. However, it appears that their agencies have not been able to find any documentation on agreements made about reinstalling the fence, so the County may push for the fence to be taken down and removed. Supervisor Chan’s office do want to hear from residents and get opinions and comments with regards to their concerns about the fence in terms of safety and visibility, because it will also help with pushing for the removal of the fence.

The County is also updating their Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Plan, the goal is to improve bicycle and pedestrian safety. The County would like to increase access to work, businesses, recreation and transit, so to encourage people to bike or walk more. This plan is for all unincorporated areas, so they encourage everyone to look at the master plan and submit comments to public works.

Lastly, the update on Hesperian project will start the beginning of next month. The contractor that was awarded this project will start with pot holing first where they will make up to 90 to 100 different pot holes with about 12 inches in diameter to ensure that the underground design is consistent and are able to put all the utilities underground. After, the contractors will do their updates to the design and the undergrounding project will begin shortly after. County is working with Public Works and require that the contractor reach out to the businesses that may be impacted by this project, so the business know who to contact and find a way to work with the business so that the impact to the business is as minor as possible.

3.4 Zoning Enforcement – not present.

4.0 OTHER BUSINESS (motions may be required)

4.1 San Lorenzo Library -- Parking Lot -Low Emitting Vehicle Signage -(Update) – The County will install three parking signs on Friday, January 26.

4.2 CC&R’s Enforcement -- Catching up with open violations -There will be a newsletter article in the next Village Briefs that will be for a CC&R “Call to Action Committee” to focus on violations throughout the Village and divide the Village into 4 to 5 different quadrants. The committee will also have subcommittees of the Board that will look at the violations that are going on within the Village. The purpose of creating the committee is to get the people in the community to be more engaged and involved and to help the Board and Staff hone in on these violations. The Board hopes to spark some interest from the community that will respond to the Call to Action Committee and have a meeting in March or April. The Board also notice that the people of the community perceives the Board and the Staff as the Association, but really, it’s the people living in the Village that make up the Association. The Board encourages people living in the community who sees a violation to report it to the Association Office and to help make our community better.

4.3 Facebook Page Status – There is a San Lorenzo Village Homes Association Facebook page that was created and set up by Steve Kirk, but has not been maintained. Steve has communicated and offered to add and setup someone, Board or Staff, as another administrator to maintain it, but no further communication has been made and will reach out to Steve again. Steve did not want it taken down as it took a lot of time to set it up, but some suggestions were to either have the page deleted, turn it into a business profile and give administrator access to the Staff, or note on the Facebook page that it’s not an “official” page.

4.4 Architectural Committee And Status Of Charter – After the review of the drafted Architectural Committee and Status Of Charter, some feedback received were to add “and” in the ‘Purpose’ paragraph after “…topography,” and include a point under ‘Duties’ “Committee Member must recuse themselves when said person has their own application in for review and must recuse themselves from any discussions and or vote.” In addition, with regards to the Architectural Committee, the Board felt it was important that the Committee can appoint someone to be the Chairperson, but the final approval of the person appointed by the Committee would be from the Board. The Charter has also been reviewed by Tinnelly and there are no other modifications at this time. The purpose of the Architectural Committee and Status Of Charter is to establish the San Lorenzo Village Architectural Review Committee, so when architectural applications come into the Association it is reviewed by a number of members versus just the Office Staff. In the past, the architectural application was only reviewed by staff, with this committee there would be three (3) members who would serve one (1) year term and with the direction of the Board they will have to take appropriate procedures and minutes to present the applications to the Board on a monthly basis. Board voted to accept the changes to the Architectural Committee and Status of Charter. Secretary/Treasurer Emanuel M.S. Robinson moved to accept changes, Director Michelle Clowser seconds, all were in favor.

5.0 LIENS AND VIOLATION REPORT (motion may be required) -- Total of lien’s released from Alterra is 40. Total notice mailed out and notes since last meeting is a total of 472. Most violations were for submission of plans a total of 195, 119 for yard maintenance, 106 first violations notice violations, and 59 multiple violations.

6.0 FINANCIAL REPORT (motion required)

6.1 Approval of December, 2017 Expenditures – Secretary/Treasurer Emanuel moved to approve December 2017 Expenditures, Director Michelle Clowser second, all were in favor.

7.0 COMMITTEE REPORTS

7.1 Community Events Committee – Two events that are coming up one is Lunar New Year that will be at the Library on February 17th. The Association is donating red envelopes with Chinese coins for every kid. Second event is Earth Day on April 21st Register starts at 8am and everyone is welcome to come help clean up the town. Every participant gets a T-shirt and there will be activities for kids. On May 12th there will be a home expo held at the Hall, more details to come in the next Village Briefs.

8.0 ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT

8.1 Operations -- 1. Group 4 Architecture, Research and Planning, Inc. will install three (3) preferred parking signs for low-emitting and fuel efficient vehicles in the north-west corner on Friday, January 26, 2018, which was approved by the Board at the November Board Meeting. 2. The Bungalows – The Declaration of Annexation was recorded in the Alameda County Records on December 29, 2017, and so far16 Units have been sold already. The office is in the process to prepare Escrow Demands 3. Main Hall Roof Replacement -County’s Roof Inspection passed on Friday, January 5, 2018. 4. Alterra Collections – As of June 2017 when the Association sent files to Alterra it has collected $18, 153.15 including payments plans. 5. Mercy Housing – Paid its 2018 invoice of $5,000 per Memorandum of Understanding between SLVHA and Mercy Housing on January 11, 2018. 6. KMC Cleaners will provide carpet cleaning in our office area on Wednesday January, 24, 2018. 7. Sweeper – Technician from Owen Equipment checked and repaired hydraulic leak at drive wheel motor on January 8, 2018 8. The 2018 Free Board Training with Tinnelly Law Firm has been scheduled for Thursday, March 8, 2018. 9. The 2018 Reserve Study (Update) for SLVHA has been completed by Association Reserve and related files were posted online on January 8, 2018. This item will be part of February Work Session Meeting Agenda 10. Levy, Erlanger & Company CPA will audit the Financial Statements and Income Tax Returns for the year ending June 30, 2018. Engagement Letter was signed by The Board President on January 17, 2018.

8.2 2018 Assessment (Update) -- SLVHA 2018 Assessments were mailed out on December 12, 2017. The upcoming annual assessment of $125.00 was due on January 1, 2018 and will be considered delinquent if not paid by February 2, 2018. Payments not received by February 2, 2018, by 5:00 PM will incur a late fee of $12.50 and interest will accrue effectively March 01, 2018. There are a total 5, 714 single family homes in San Lorenzo Village. On January 1, 2018: 3,568 residents have been paid their assessments and 2,146 still did not paid their assessments.

9.0 BOARD REPORTS -- 15 Architectural applications was received last month.

10.0 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

10.1 Disposition of Executive Session Minutes # 1552 on December 21, 2017 –- The Board discussed items related to personal matters in the office, annexation of Bungalows, collections and settlement offers that are in potential litigation.

10.2 Approval of Executive Session Minutes # 1552 on December 21, 2017 –- Director Michelle Clowser made motion to approve Executive Session minutes #1552, Secretary/Treasurer Emanuel M.S. Robinson second, all were in favor.

10.3 Approval of Board Meeting Minutes # 1553 on December 21, 2017 –- Secretary/Treasurer Emanuel M.S. Robinson made motion to approve meeting minutes #1553, Director Clowser Second, all were in favor.

10.4 Disposition of Executive Session Minutes # 1554 on January 4, 2018 –- The Board discussed legal matters, settlement agreements, potential litigation matters, and annexation of the Bungalows.

10.5 Approval of Executive Session Minutes # 1554 on January 4, 2018 –- Director Michelle Clowser moved to approve Executive Session Meeting Minutes #1554, Director John Chung second, all were in favor.

10.6 Approval of Work Session Minutes # 1555 on January 4, 2018 –- The Board submitted some grammatical changes to the minutes that were submitted to the Administrator to make changes. Secretary/Treasurer Emanuel M.S. Robinson made motion to approve minutes with the modify changes on Work Session Minutes #1555, Director Michelle Clowser second, all were in favor.

11.0 ADJOURNMENT -- Meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.


Respectfully Submitted,


Emanuel MS. Robinson
Secretary/Treasurer

Recorded and Transcribed by: Mai Vue, Manager of Operations
Reviewed by: Eugene Osipov, Administrator